Develop new strategies and post guides.
[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Race: Random
Battlenet ID: Consilience
Clan: Defy

Expos

Postby Consilience » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 am

Someone in game was asking about minerals from expos so I'll repost this video from a couple years ago. The numbers were obtained by tracking minerals while afk vs minerals while afk with an expo up.

To summarize:
--Takes 2 minutes to build and 8 minutes to become fully operational
--It takes 11 minutes to break even on the 500 mineral investment for an expo
--Expos give the max amount of minerals once fully operational
--Once fully up, each member of the team gets ~90-100 minerals per minute extra
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Re: Expos

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 am

When you say 11 minutes to break even, you mean as a team, right? It would take an additional 4 minutes to break even as an individual?

That assumes you would not have gotten additional minerals had you spent the 500 on items while you were critting and gotten additional kill shots.

Good to know the break even point, thanks.

There is also the factor that people will go all out to attack an expo, so you may recoup a certain amount killing a hero desperate to take it down (or someone spending a base ult trying to hurt/kill it.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:When you say 11 minutes to break even, you mean as a team, right? It would take an additional 4 minutes to break even as an individual?

No, as an individual. It takes 11 min from the time you purchase for you to make the 500 back, just from expo income. The mineral output is slower before it's fully operational and it gradually increases until maxed. Once all the workers are out, you are making 500 minerals every 5-6 minutes. A team of 6 will net 3000 minerals the first 11 min the expo is up and 550-660/minute after that.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:16 pm

So what is the break even time as a team (team gets 500 mins from it total)?

Ixidor
General

Articles: 11

Postby Ixidor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:14 pm

It's hard to gauge Art, because like Cons mentioned it's proportional to the amount of workers that takes at least 10 minutes to reach full potential, and realistically in most games enemies are gonna' be hammering your workers all the time with AoE's and shit.

I did a small test a while back based on a 15 minute game and comparing with or without an expo too, if you're interested in looking at my numbers, that might give you a general idea:
http://www.forum.ha3x.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3332

...So for me, by like 9 minutes I'd net about 400 minerals with expo, which is pretty much hand in hand with what Cons said (500 minerals @ 11 minutes from build). So based on that, the 5 of you would have to make only 100 minerals back, which I'd assume early on you're only getting like 20 minerals per 30 sec, I'd venture a guess of like 3 minutes of actual "operation" for "the Team to pay off Expo", so probably on average by ~10-12 min game time your team has paid it off in mineral earning depending on if you got it down between 5-7 minutes and the 2 minutes to construct. I think it is actually a good question, because some races like Zerg you WILL have times the Terran break through and destroy your expo at like 10-15 minutes game time and ppl will be screaming that you lost income lol.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Ixidor wrote:It's hard to gauge Art, because like Cons mentioned it's proportional to the amount of workers that takes at least 10 minutes to reach full potential...I'd venture a guess of like 3 minutes of actual "operation" for "the Team to pay off Expo"

That's probably right. Add to that the 2 minutes it takes for completion of the building. This would've been easy to calculate back when the testing was done. I was more focused on when the builder gets paid back since 500 minerals early is a large investment.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Return to Strategies & Guides