[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

IH Statistics Thread

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Hopefully you all find this interesting, took me a while to tally the heroes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I tallied all heroes from the in house screen shot collection (ignoring observing heroes). That collection starts in 2014 FYI.

I noticed some interesting trends. Like Firebat and Medic chosen a lot earlier and much less late. Also, a lot of the lower usage heroes were chosen by Nubbs (probably to test them out).

Also, as you can see, Zerg is used about half as much as the other two races. I did not tally the maps, but I would suspect 2/3 of the plays are Desert.

-----------------------
EDIT:
3/25/2016
Updated Thread name. Lets keep this as an all-purpose document for IH stats!
Added Player Wins/Losses for 1st Quarter of 2016
--Ixidor

[Gentlemen's City] Nubbins
Developer

Battlenet ID: Nubbins.218
Clan: Gentlemen's City

Re: In House Hero Usage

Postby Nubbins » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:33 pm

If you still have the data organized could you add win rate as well? That would be interesting.
Puru Puru Pururin~

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 pm

I did not tally kill-death, wins, map. to do that, you'd need all the images logged instead. It would be very good to know, but a lot of work. If anyone wants to count wins, I will give them edit permissions. This took me over an hour as is.

What would be cool is if we logged IH's in a sheet like this (then had a page aggregating the results). It would be super useful.

[Defy] mustardtiger

Battlenet ID: mustardtiger 1398
Clan: Defy

Postby mustardtiger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Zerg trend is unsurprising, people complain about lag so lots of times the race is banned. I could help out with this if you wanted.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:41 pm

Yeah, the lag issue does play a big factor. If I had all info in there, we could see trends over time (high usage when heroes OP, then after a nerf) as well.

I could also do stats like % of lineups with/without the hero. I am very good at google sheets, I just need the data in there.

If anyone wants to help enter it, please PM me a google email or post it here.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:57 pm

OK, I added a new 2nd sheet on there (a log). If anyone wants to take a crack at it, that would help a lot. Maybe if everyone entered a couple games, this would be done fast. I will make edit for anyone with link.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:04 pm

I just entered the 1st one. It is actually pretty easy since you can tab through. Thanks to any that can enter a few. Here are the guidelines:

1) no abbreviations (don't worry if it runs off cell, it will be shown nice on an overview tab). This is best so that data can be aggregated

2) Skip observers. If they were level 0, don't include them

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Race: Random
Battlenet ID: Consilience

Postby Consilience » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Pretty interesting. Too bad there was like a year of IH's every night that aren't posted.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:13 pm

yeah, the wins would be even more interesting. I'm curious to see the win rate on certain heroes.

Also, what you don't see are the specifics of the IH. Like the game type (random heroes, first to 25 kills, die an out, etc). All those play into hero selection, though I would be like %90 of IH's are normal games. There may also be hero bans you don't see. Like perhaps Corsair would have been taken even more, but was banned for being OP.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Take the 2nd game on the IH collection for example. If you saw this who would you think won?:

Team 1 K-D: 32-19
Team 2 K-D 19-32

It was a 44 minute game, with no builders, so not a turtle situation. Team 2 probably won that game because they had Lings and Muta, who went 3-10.5 but probably had constant pressure all game and ended up getting a back door win. So it will be interesting to see the win rate of some heroes like that where it may not even matter how many kills they have.

Is that good or bad for HA? it is for each to make up their own mind on, but maybe it would be enlightening to Nubbins, I don't know.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:30 pm

OK, I put a stats page in there, let me know if you want to see any other stats and I will try to add them.

Right now the numbers can be a bit odd, since the sample size is low (I have only entered 4 games).

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:33 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:Take the 2nd game on the IH collection for example. If you saw this who would you think won?:

Team 1 K-D: 32-19
Team 2 K-D 19-32

It was a 44 minute game, with no builders, so not a turtle situation. Team 2 probably won that game because they had Lings and Muta, who went 3-10.5 but probably had constant pressure all game and ended up getting a back door win. So it will be interesting to see the win rate of some heroes like that where it may not even matter how many kills they have.

Is that good or bad for HA? it is for each to make up their own mind on, but maybe it would be enlightening to Nubbins, I don't know.

I remember this game well. When you select these split push zerg line-ups, you aren't expecting to have a better k/d. It's a smart strategy on solar though and it worked. The idea is to threaten team fights while a couple heroes harass putting toss on it's heels. Meanwhile, zerg has econ advantage w 3 expos up and farms. Zerg was pushing all game so it wasn't a strictly bd win. The k/d ratios and the game would've been a lot closer if zerg went team fight lineup... say festor, bruta, defiler, broodling, hybrid, lurk.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Ixidor
General

Articles: 11

Re: IH Statistics Thread

Postby Ixidor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:05 am

Phew, that took forever. Added a "Player Win/Loss" ratio thread for the 1st quarter 2016 IH's FYI. (data includes from Jan - April 1st, if you have more games we missed please update so I can get them in! And if I f'd up and made any mistakes please let me know, I'm only human lol, had to tally it all by hand I'm not perfect)

Also, props to "DarkAndroid" for killing it 1st quarter. We gotta' get this kid to swing here some time.

(...I'm hoping this can be an ongoing thing each quarter, we'll just start on a clean slate and keep going and we can see how it goes. Amd part of the reason I'm not reaching for games way back a year ago is 1) too much data sry I do have a life, usually and 2) There's been so much balance changes the last few months I'd rather keep the battles relevant, which is part of the reason I'm splitting it by quarter-- games 1 year ago shouldn't reflect your shit currently, for example.)

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Did you manually add the win loss data? If so, i can pull that from the log easily, we just need more screen shots logged

Ixidor
General

Articles: 11

Postby Ixidor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Manually tallied. Jan 30 - March 25th 2016.

I'm not really that interested in games a long time ago, due to so many balance changes and hero additions. I'd rather invest more logging future results this next quarter, start with a clean slate for everyone and evaluate meta again.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Well, you can log only recent ones, there is no reason you can't. I can also filter out the older data if we want.

Another cool thing would be to have a page in there that is patch updates. Then we could see how patches changed hero usage, win rates, etc.

My point is there isn't a reason to tally things manually. Just log what you find useful (last 6 months, whatever) and we can run stats on whatever you want from that data. If you only want to see stats on the last 6 months, we can created a different tab for that.

In an ideal world, I'd have this in SQL, and then we'd have an SSRS site where you could run any report you want on it (put in date ranges, filters, etc). It would be pretty easy to do, I'm just not interested in the cost of hosting the SSRS.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:In an ideal world, I'd have this in SQL, and then we'd have an SSRS site where you could run any report you want on it (put in date ranges, filters, etc).

Then create the "wiwup feed index" - a ratio of feed per unit time / fraction of game played before RQ.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Ix - I made a game log 2015 tab (it only filters out the single game from 2014, but from a code standpoint it functions). My thought was I could put in major updates and then that filter could be used to get a subset from the log on a desired range.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:46 pm

OK, I have player stats tab in there (counting wins and losses automatically). It keys on the Game Log (recent) tab. So, if we put in recent games, and I put that range into the filter (say last 6 months), everything will update automatically. I could create additional tabs for other date ranges if you want.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 pm

I guess there's no incentive to try new heroes and compositions since we're tabulating everyone's cumulative performance. RIP

Map and race/hero stats is the only thing useful here.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Not even sure how to analyze personal stats. Every IH player would agree mustard and elt are in the top tier of players, yet their w/l is much worse than people who routinely are picked last and feed. There are no useful conclusions from this data worth the work required to generate it. Not to mention, tabulating cumulative stats only makes people want to play the same try-hard heroes ev game.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:56 pm

I agree. I wasn't even going to do player stats (Ix started that). I really only wanted to do hero usage and W-L rates with them. More as a tool to balance, I really don't care about who is better.

My thoughts is I will hide player data and not show it because I don't see the use (outside bragging rights) either.

simonalia
Recruit

Race: Terran
Battlenet ID: Private

Postby simonalia » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 am

Ixidor wrote:Phew, that took forever. Added a "Player Win/Loss" ratio thread for the 1st quarter 2016 IH's FYI. (data includes from Jan - April 1st, if you have more games we missed please update so I can get them in! And if I f'd up and made any mistakes please let me know, I'm only human lol, had to tally it all by hand I'm not perfect)

Also, props to "DarkAndroid" for killing it 1st quarter. We gotta' get this kid to swing here some time. https://www.giannasgrille.com

(...I'm hoping this can be an ongoing thing each quarter, we'll just start on a clean slate and keep going and we can see how it goes. Amd part of the reason I'm not reaching for games way back a year ago is 1) too much data sry I do have a life, usually and 2) There's been so much balance changes the last few months I'd rather keep the battles relevant, which is part of the reason I'm splitting it by quarter-- games 1 year ago shouldn't reflect your shit currently, for example.)

this was not really the time check mate :D you can justify those things in ERA too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to Tournaments & In House