Develop new strategies and post guides.
[Defy] John
Sergeant

Race: Protoss
Battlenet ID: John 1551
Clan: Defy

Re: [BLOG] Ixidor's Strategy Blog

Postby John » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:59 pm

There was once a great medic player that said kill count is the most accurate measurement to e-peen size.
You win some, you lose some.

Dark Archon Guide

Ixidor
General

Articles: 11
Race: Random

Postby Ixidor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Excellent, good to hear you guys agree with me on the importance of not dying and experience vs kills topic. And Art I'm glad you and Cons brought that up regarding the Hero roles vs not dying in competitive games, I think there's a lot of truth to what Cons saying 'cause being the analytical dork I am I used to scrutinize a lot of the IH score posts too and see if there's a pattern (besides the long stretch of "Zerg Race" winning every game a year ago that is lol, thank god that's over).

Not dying is a really important part of winning, but there's other aspects too imo. If I had to look at the "big picture" and put together a Priority List for people to evaluate their play after IH games I'd prioritize it something like this...

IH Player Evaluation Sheet

1) Did you win the game?
Spoiler:
After all is said and done... this is the only thing that really matters, right. Certain players might have a problem with how you win, how your Lings or FB bd's are "cheap", your turtling till infinity till you counterattack at the perfect time and win, the list goes on. If you win, people will forgive your Nydus Hero for pushing top all game while ignoring helping the team... however if you don't, you're going to be the first person who feels their wrath lol "wth Nydus, we needed your Ult all game!"

2) Did you "unnecessarily" die/feed very little?
Spoiler:
Hey, everyone gets picked up by Nix grav and shit like that, it's totally forgivable. But how LITTLE YOU DIE tells me a lot about YOU as a player. Are you reckless? Are you very aware of the map, following up with obs so you have vision and are you quick on the trigger to buyback asap? Do you make poor decisions to overextend or save a friend who's gonna' die anyways and get yourself killed? Do you die in 1v1 situations alone because you're refusing to buy LD to stun & getaway like you normally should? It's not really just to be harsh, but its things to just ask yourself if you die a lot, if you want to evaluate this ^_^ Cause I definitely stand guilty, at times I'll die a lot and start blaming everything else but after the fact when I think about it I realize how stupid and reckless I was playing that game lol

3) Did you contribute strongly to your Team getting kills?
Spoiler:
The OBVIOUS one would be if you're the "carry" hero and you have all the kills on your scorecard, but the bigger picture is... what about the DT/HT who didn't reap have the benefit but made all the plays, died very little, and literally setup half the kills for your carry on a silver platter? We're you the guy or were you doing other things like pushing other lanes or dying instead of helping your team get the kills. We're you the nydus like in the top example that was pushing Top lane all game when team really could've used your Ult in the team fights? One really good example I can think of was me and Darkangel did Oracle + Stalker one time, I was spamming Revelation every 30 seconds so he could Wurmhole in and kill everyone on the map, and my other way was to Preordain to blink them back if they escape and zap their energy with Q... I may not be the one getting all the kills, but its a descent example of "how are you contributing to your team as a whole getting kills?".

4) Were you purchasing the necessary items over the course of the game to deal with what opponent had best?
Spoiler:
If you lose to Ghost/Spectre... were you buying obs/ovys/towers? I've seen people get smoked by Protoss air, but they literally never by dweb or Scourges or any of the necessary items to deal with it best. Before you say enemy Festor's OP... did you buy IC's or Stasis? If you did all absolutely everything you could and still lost, there's no shame, but the better majority of the time there's things people forget, nobody's perfect. One of the BIGGEST and CRAZIEST oversights that I fuck up on 'cause it seems so obvious after the fact... aight, I'll be something like Oracle and go against Viking and get owned and lose that game then get pissed off. But then after the game I'll be like "ohhh... damnit, why didn't I get Dweb that whole game? That'd have hardcountered him so bad!" because its true, a lot of times when you go Air you don't always think of getting Dweb yourself.

5) Did you communicate with Team?
Spoiler:
This doesn't have to be a big thing, it can be really subtle, even if it's just pinging for a gank or pinging a couple times to indicate someone's heading to backdoor. Less is more, just typing to your team about random shit throughout the game isn't the best way to go about it though, there are times though if you don't have TS and your team is kinda' fucking up you might have to say "you guys you guys, we need to all stop rushing Tower 'cause we're getting annihilated, lets do X instead" to get an actual plan going, there's nothing wrong with that.

...As a player, if you can go through the 5 question Checklist over the course of many games and honestly answer "YES" to each of the questions, and average a 75%+ score you a very solid grade A player. Like 50-75%, you're still a very solid player but there might be a few aspects of your game you need to give attention to. If over the course of many games you're below that, you might need to think about some of the basic things like being more conscientious of dying, getting the right items to support team in situations, little stuff like that and keep getting better.

Ixi
Last edited by Ixidor on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Battlenet ID: Consilience

Postby Consilience » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 pm

mustardtiger wrote:
Consilience wrote:I use to collect screenshots from every IH and would try to find patterns to explain the outcomes of the games. One thing I noticed very quickly was that the best players on each team didn't always have the most kills, but >95% of the time, had the least number of deaths. In a lot of cases, all you really need to have a high kill count is good last hit timing, which isn't a great indicator of overall skill. Death count reflects decision-making: knowing when to engage or run, or which areas are more dangerous than others, resisting the temptation to overextend, etc. I always feel like I played bad if I have 5 or more deaths in IH, no matter how many kills I have.

Would you say these screenshots are in some sort of collection, perhaps of the paint variety?

Also, it takes a lot of skill to time that void ray Q or ghost snipe. Too early and you risk some scrub on your team getting the kill. Too late and someone might get their last hit skill in before yours.

No paint on Mac. It's a collection of IH ss for research purposes, including the shitty games. There's no value in a 45-0 pub game ss, and I also wouldn't feel strong beating up a child.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Defy] mustardtiger

Battlenet ID: mustardtiger 1398

Postby mustardtiger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Consilience wrote:No paint on Mac. It's a collection of IH ss for research purposes, including the shitty games. There's no value in a 45-0 pub game ss, and I also wouldn't feel strong beating up a child.

Ya, but, what if there were six children?

I kept track of kills, deaths, heroes played, etc. for all those league games for the same reason though, interesting to look back on and see trends.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:00 pm

@ixi
Nice IH evaluation criteria. I like the IH players who have:

1. Map awareness - being in the right place at the right time.
2. Good decision making in battles - prioritizing targets and knowing when to push/retreat.
3. Being willing to sacrifice themselves or their minerals for the team.

The most annoying type of teammates are those that run around soloing all game and are either absent from team-fights or are always just trying to get the last hits. They usually don't buy things for the team, and wonder why they get picked late when they always have a lot of kills.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Defy] mustardtiger

Battlenet ID: mustardtiger 1398

Postby mustardtiger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Consilience wrote:@ixi
Nice IH evaluation criteria. I like the IH players who have:

1. Map awareness - being in the right place at the right time.
2. Good decision making in battles - prioritizing targets and knowing when to push/retreat.
3. Being willing to sacrifice themselves or their minerals for the team.

The most annoying type of teammates are those that run around soloing all game and are either absent from team-fights or are always just trying to get the last hits. They usually don't buy things for the team, and wonder why they get picked late when they always have a lot of kills.

To add to the annoying teammate stereotype, that's the guy who pings two seconds before he dies 3v1 by himself halfway across the map and says, "Why does no one come to pings?"

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:26 pm

^lmao

Yes
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Defy] Primo
Sergeant

Articles: 56
Battlenet ID: Primo 746

Postby Primo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:39 am

I think another major factor with all players in general getting under-leveled is not fully understanding the experience range like how it is split between players, knowing how much range it is or even not knowing about it at all. Then there is experience of the team as a whole. Sure at 10 mins a side lane will give more experience than 2 small crits but its more beneficial for you and your whole team for you to sometimes stay in crits till 15+ minutes or even bouncing back and forth. Small things like that is how you help you and your whole team get an experience advantage.

Ixidor
General

Postby Ixidor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Bump. Some thoughts messin with Natural Predation a bit.

[Defy] John
Sergeant

Race: Protoss
Battlenet ID: John 1551

Postby John » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Forgot that natural predation works on even muta/ling summons, since DA MC doesn't work on summons. Might be an interesting way to defend bding.
You win some, you lose some.

Dark Archon Guide

Ixidor
General

Postby Ixidor » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:31 pm

UPDATED:

RAZOR SWARM! Remember this spell everybody!? XD (I don't see many ppl use it sadly lol, I'm serious you really don't >.>)

Nothing ground breaking, but an easy strategy. pce

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:16 am

Ixidor wrote:12/30/15 "Aggressive Razor pushing"
This is one of those things I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of, in pubs or IH for that matter. People tend to play really... safe and gingerly when it comes to Nydus placement, which I guess makes sense. But this is a strategy that's a bit reckless for speed leveling mid-game 'cause it's not cost-effective in terms of minerals, but it's very worthwhile for that 15-25 min period when "Hero level" > "farm":

Once you're lvl 7+ and have your speed/broodlings/glaive "lane harassing shizzle", go back to base and sell everything for buyback, Razor Swarm, Nydus and some energy. Your goal now is to just push single/double waves with Razor, drop a nydus, bounce back and Razor again. The cd is 30 seconds so you can nearly be doing this nonstop. Even if you get 2x Razor's in on a double wave and lose your Nydus Canal... that's fine, it paid off in Xp and lane time. If you manage to get like 5-6 uses of that Nydus you're extremely far ahead in Energy and xp of anyone else. The reason I get buyback AND Nydus is important, it's because there's times lets say you've overstayed your welcome and get your Nydus destroyed and have to get out asap, it's good to have an immediate escape when that happens.

This is a viable strategy because 1) Razor Swarm deals 80 (+8/lvl) damage which is much more than Nova/Airstrike so you can elimiate full waves far earlier and 2) you have the "unlimited energy" means of supporting it much earlier 'cause of Nydus.

Give it a shot, play really greedy and don't be afraid to go broke, you'll find yourself way ahead than you'd be in past when you'd have to travel long distances to get back all the time.
Ixi
That's a standard pub zerg strategy but I'm not 100% on board with...
Ixidor wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of, in...IH for that matter.Ixi

Selfish play w the wrong hero can be devastating to an IH lineup.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Ixidor
General

Postby Ixidor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:56 pm

I guess you'd have to be more specific. What I'm talking about is trying to maximize amount of time on the battlefield while still in laning phase, either pushing or holding. This could be holding mid vs Terran on Desert, or solo laning on Solar, or dual laning mid on Chill. The idea is to be greedy with your own minerals, not so much that you're greedy to your team, what I mainly implied is don't be afraid to throw away Nydus if... lets say you push their team back a little further, drop a nydus and bounce back once or twice and keep Razor'ing, then if you have to flee and lose Nydus so be it. What I commonly see is people tend to be very parsimonious mid-game with their minerals and spend longer distances walking back to battle by not using Forward-Nyduses. This benefits you and your team, they can support you in your lane and you stay ahead in xp far easier which is more important in the earlier stage than minerals.
This doesn't seem as greedy to me and players who get Drop Pod and start slamming your double wave mid screwing you over in xp or Zerglings that push your lane way too far for you, those are two pet peeves that I absolutely can't stand. I could be overlooking something though, so let me know

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:25 pm

Pubs barely do forward nydus at all. Even when you are pushing their base hard and there is no way they will be able to go out and destroy a forward nydus. I often bring them, but it would be nice to have help from pubs. They don't seem to understand you can easily make up the 150 min lost by just killing another wave mid desert.

Ixidor
General

Postby Ixidor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:51 pm

Yeah, agreed. The way I see it is that the mineral advantage isn't really that important till you get all Tier1-4 Buildings, and that won't happen till closer till 20 minutes game time. After getting some of your essential items, 300 minerals to bring 2x extra Nydus with you is nothing, it's the difference of maybe lvl1 to lvl 2 armor but that's no biggy. The most important thing is the xp though, you might be 2 levels ahead by staying closer to the battlefield and cutting attack upgrades for stuff like Razor to expedite your wave clearing-- the key is, you can always sell it off later on if needed if you're starting to teamfight more often. But anyways, I see it as a win-win situation for you and your teammates.

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:50 pm

the issue isn't cost as much as item slot IMO. You could carry nydus instead of warp out, but it is not as immediate as a warp out. Like you can warp out as lockdown missle is coming, but probably can't drop nydus and get in it as fast to avoid the LD.

Ixidor
General

Postby Ixidor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 pm

yeah that's why I just carry both mid-game, it's definitely worth it like you said if you gotta' get out in a pinch. For example I'll just keep buyback as normal "D" hotkey and have "spacebar" for Nydus Canal, since that's my last hotkey slot.

I mean, yeah it's an extra item spot but it's well worth it. When you think about it you really don't need much early, maybe just some combination of Speed/Razor/Glaive or Speed/bLings/Glaive. Really anything else besides a couple ovys is not necessary till later on 99% of the time.

Ixidor
General

Postby Ixidor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Finally an update: heroes of the storm rabble rabble rabble NO TEARS rabble rabble. lol

Previous

Return to Strategies & Guides