protips (not well know things)

Need help or advice? Ask any questions about the game and more experienced people will answer you. Improve yourself!
akuma
Developer

Articles: 1
Battlenet ID: 510

protips (not well know things)

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:44 am

So I know this is ask a pro but I thought it might be nice to list some of the not well known parts of the game.
you can post anything you like that you think is not well known

ill start with a few

if you have devastator missiles and concussive shells items the devastator missiles will produce a stun
raven has the highest burst damage of any hero in the game

akuma
Developer

Re: protips (not well know things)

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:50 am

if you have a double hero (zerglings or banglings) and buy more then 1 2% at a time, when 1 is sold all will be removed from your item slots and you will not gain the money

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:53 am

if the enemy team has a expo and you can't kill it then just kill the workers, you gain 6 minerals per kill and the expo only produces increased income if the workers are mining
making the expo a waste of money to the team that bought it

[Defy] Primo
Sergeant

Articles: 56
Race: Random
Battlenet ID: Primo 746
Clan: Defy

Postby Primo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:05 am

Small critters can be farmed using 3 prisms instead of 2 prisms and 1 obelisk saving 25 minerals.

Dweb can root any hero in the air. This includes vulture mid jump, predator mid pounce, broodling mid sudden strike, brutalisk mid pounce, corrupter mid latch(if its using flight), zerglings using T, Thor mid stomp, a hero that phoenix picks up with grav bream.

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 am

Primo wrote:Small critters can be farmed using 3 prisms instead of 2 prisms and 1 obelisk saving 25 minerals.

lol i didn't know that one

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 am

bought siege tanks have a footprint of .001, making them only able to be attacked by 1 melee hero at once

[Defy] Primo
Sergeant

Articles: 56
Battlenet ID: Primo 746
Clan: Defy

Postby Primo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 am

akuma wrote:bought siege tanks have a footprint of .001, making them only able to be attacked by 1 melee hero at once

Oh man, they can be taken over by mc too.

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Can we ask questions as well?

Like ursa seems more likely not to follow you then small crits. What is the radius from their spawn point they are willing to chase you?

Also, what is the exact level of hero in which Nova/Razor Swarm takes out an entire wave (assuming the wave stays in the duration of the swarm)?

veritas
Sergeant

Battlenet ID: Private

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Small critters can be farmed with 2 prisms if 1 is placed slightly further back then the other having all 3 critters get confused and attack none of them (it can also be done with zerg cannons but they cant be adjusted after the initial planting).

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 pm

roach cant attack hybrid remnant at all when using its range buff skill.

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:30 pm

concussive shells doesnt last long enough to scale if a hero is a similar speed to marauder it can get away by just retreating after the first shell its as marauder the debuff will be removed before the second hits. slow heroes the marauder can catch already without concussive shells theirfore concussive shells is one of the last spells you should buy for marauder currently. concussive shells doesn't last long enough to allow for you to also stutter step if an enemy is retreating (meaning again it wont stack). overall concussive shells should be one of the last spells researched as the 200 min shop item is superior. rather funny thing also i have been able to run away from a marauder as marauder with the speed item and the shop slowing item. The other marauder was also using both of these items but just doing the attack animation slowed him down more then me just running away.

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Reaver can place scarbs on cliffs and have a dt swap onto the cliff to make a mine field that can kill any hero.

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:45 pm

reaver shells will miss a target if a creep unit is touching the targeted hiting the creep unit instead.

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:Can we ask questions as well?

Like ursa seems more likely not to follow you then small crits. What is the radius from their spawn point they are willing to chase you?

Also, what is the exact level of hero in which Nova/Razor Swarm takes out an entire wave (assuming the wave stays in the duration of the swarm)?

yes you can
they both have the same agro, good question ill get back to you on the leash range

for the last one simple math is all you need to do, with no attack ups to clear a full wave you need (going to do it for protoss since it's the most hp) 200 damage
ill do the math for hero levels using nova 50+5 per level, that's 150 at level 20 but you get 6% more damage from the 6 stats you took on for 159

you would need 34 stats and level 20 to clear a full wave with no attack upgrades

now ill do with attack upgrades because who doesn't get them (i won't do the math here because it's complex)
with level 5 attack you do 20% more spell damage (shop items deal spell damage) so 150+20%, the 20% is just added onto the stats you have so treat it as a baseline and boom there you go

you need 14 stats and level 5 attack at level 20 to clear a full wave of protoss units

for razor, math not explained (20*4*2.5=200) so you need to be only level 15 to clear with razor if the unit's don't move, attack ups or stats needed

any questions?

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Reaver can shoot up cliffs by placing its model so it overlaps with the cliff.

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Ok two questions is the interceptors damage tied to a heroes base damage? because I noticed reaver using interceptor appears to be way more effective then phx using interceptor.

Second question do you have to resell dmatrix to get it to scale or does it just not scale by the amount the text lists? I noticed this week that it was giving way less shields to me then was stated when I had 150 stats and I had only like 800 shields.

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:01 pm

veritas wrote:Ok two questions is the interceptors damage tied to a heroes base damage? because I noticed reaver using interceptor appears to be way more effective then phx using interceptor.

Second question do you have to resell dmatrix to get it to scale or does it just not scale by the amount the text lists? I noticed this week that it was giving way less shields to me then was stated when I had 150 stats and I had only like 800 shields.

1st no, just flat no interceptors has it's own damage that scale with hero level and stats (think of it as a added auto attack(in rare cases some effects may carry over to the interceptor/glave/dm, effects such as concussive item producing a stun from dm attack or interceptor producing a armor debuff when stalker has Singularity Charge, for the most part all of this has been fixed but some still exist due to the dev's no knowing about them))

2nd it should scale without selling it, if you wan't you can test this. carry dmatrix all game until you have a good amount of stats then cast it record the number added then sell and recast it and compare that number to the one before you sold it, if they don't match then it's a bug that needs to be addressed

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Postby ArtVandelay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:06 pm

I think the leash might seem shorter on ursa because it is melee and some small crits have a small range?

What is the leash on reaver scarabs? Obviously it will only fire inside it's range at you, but then how far can it follow you (assuming you could outrun/blink it that far)?

Same question on broodlings (item, hero ability, Drone T). Will they follow you indefinately after 'cast' at you?

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:04 am

you can't out run a scarab any more unless your hellion, the unit will continue to target you until it hit's or lose's target (port's out), some blinks might make it lose target if they blink into a area with no vision (unconfirmed)

not the same with broodlings as they are much faster then the scarab (i think 15 maybe 20) but the projectile should continue untill it's target is reached, if target go's missing they will hit last known point of target (you can test this with a marine shield and broodlings item by running far away i suggest a hellion be targeted and the broodlings shot from within the shield

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:36 am

You can blink dodge or vulture jump if you time it right where you move at the moment of impact. When a reaver scarb hits it doesnt do damage isntantly if you use that .1 sec to move 1 or 2 or more range away the reaver scarab will vanish and then do no damage as their is nothing to damage in the area. Used to be a good method for clearing reaver bombs on a cliff quick loading in and out of prism. or being very cocky as a stalker or vulture. Pretty much its a a very high skill blink dodge where you cut the timing to the wire to cancel the reavers dps/ diffuse scarbs.

I can confirm a good blink or vulture jump causing a reaver scarb to lose its target without the hero warping out. Its very rare but a full range jump and enough missing vision and reaver scarbs will somtimes lose the target. I see it happen most often with vulture jump as the hero jumps 9 range and then its already very fast. I know one guy that was doing it so often that I actually timed dweb to catch him.

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:43 am

If you try to dropship to somewhere out of range the dropship command on your hero will have a cooldown. The dropship that's in the shop though wont also be on cooldown.

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:48 am

The vision of cloaked units your nexus provides does not reach the beacon.

akuma
Developer

Postby akuma » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:26 am

veritas wrote:If you try to dropship to somewhere out of range the dropship command on your hero will have a cooldown. The dropship that's in the shop though wont also be on cooldown.

this one is wrong the shop dropship is never on cooldown

veritas
Sergeant

Postby veritas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 am

akuma wrote:
veritas wrote:If you try to dropship to somewhere out of range the dropship command on your hero will have a cooldown. The dropship that's in the shop though wont also be on cooldown.

this one is wrong the shop dropship is never on cooldown

All I said is the dropship on the hero might be on cooldown but the one at the shop wont be once you get to skills that have 1 sec or less cooldowns a question of if a skill doesnt or does have a cooldown becomes rather muddied. since i wasnt sure about the cooldown on the shop item since i rarely use it except when the hero one is on cool down I simply stated the one i knew for sure which is that if a you use dropship on your hero the one at the store will not also be on cooldown.

Knock back skills on collousus and hybrid dominator will disable previous actions ordered but not performed on heroes hit by the knockback. This includes sometimes stopping bruta mid rampage.

Next

Return to Ask a Pro