Lunch Time Lessons

Need help or advice? Ask any questions about the game and more experienced people will answer you. Improve yourself!
[Gentlemen's City] l)arkangel
Ninja

Race: Random
Battlenet ID: Darkangel
Clan: Gentlemen's City

Re: Lunch Time Lessons

Postby l)arkangel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Sorry, for what hero? reaper?
Check out the Official HA3X Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HeroAttack3X

Guides:
Predator
Preserver
I aint got nothin left in my will, cept throw it all in the casket its mine still

Beaue
Recruit

Battlenet ID: Private

Postby Beaue » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 pm

No, I mean for any hero when I see something in that format. That particular one was pulled from Jetlag's firebat guide, but I was asking more generally, because I see that format used in a lot of guides.

For example, if a guide states that you should go 5/4/3 attack/armor/energy, is it stating that you should get 5 attack, 4 armor, and 3 energy then pour the rest of your minerals into statups for the rest of the game?

I only ask because I generally max all 3 at 5/5/5 before I start buying statups, and I was wondering if I'm doing it all wrong.

[Gentlemen's City] swamp_
Corporal

Battlenet ID: Private

Postby swamp_ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 pm

I can't speak for the guides because I didn't write them, but a lot of heroes don't need 5/5/5 before going on to stats. DZ, for example, if survivability is a bigger issue than normal, may want to go 0 attack, 5 armor, 2 energy, and the rest in stats. VR may want to skip armor all together and go 5 attack, 3-4 energy, and the rest in stats if your team is really good about keeping enemy heroes off you, so that all you do is throw your Q at people without ever getting hit.

Siege tank almost never gets armor because if the enemy hero has gotten so close to you that he can damage you, you'd be dead even if you did have armor, so the money is better spent on stats to boost damage even more. Medic doesn't need attack, and might wanna put any extra money into orbitals and sensor towers because your spells are all support and aren't affected much by stats anyway.

Neural infestor can skip attack and go straight for stats after getting level 5 armor and at least level 3 energy because stats make your army stronger.

edit:
Since you specifically mentioned firebat, a common build is to buy speed item, protective shield, level 2 energy, and as much armor as possible right after you finish critting (level 7 usually). The level 2 energy lets you use both your ult and stim, so you can go clear a double wave quickly. From there, max out armor, then get a bit more energy to support lockdown and napalm. After that, if you plan on using defensive matrix, you'll want to max energy. If not, max attack. Then stats.
Last edited by swamp_ on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Gentlemen's City] Nubbins
Developer

Battlenet ID: Nubbins.218

Postby Nubbins » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm

5/4/3 is generally what an average X hero's upgrade spread would look like mid game. More importantly, it shows which upgrades to prioritize. For example in the above layout you want to spend significantly more minerals on attack upgrades than energy upgrades. It's a general guideline so don't fuss over it too much.

When it comes to statups, it's not that big of a deal. The impact is pretty minimal, especially in pub play. Personally, I always max the relevant upgrades before statups because I buy statups on the field. Which means that I'll pretty much never bank up enough minerals to max out on upgrades when I port back.
Puru Puru Pururin~

[Gentlemen's City] l)arkangel
Ninja

Race: Random
Battlenet ID: Darkangel

Postby l)arkangel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:07 pm

This is very dependent on the hero and/or situation. If you realize you need more attack as X hero and you already have level 5, then get stats. if you are getting ganked and have 5/4/3, then finish up and get level 5 armor.

I'd say the guide recommended ?/?/? is the best case scenario where you are slightly ahead of the game. You will have to get a feel for it.

For example, sometimes I get level 2 energy with pred before attack. Sometimes I get level 2 attack, sometimes I get level 2 armor. Really is all situational for me. Sometimes I get stats on 5/5/5, sometimes 5/4/5, sometimes 4/2/2 (basically because they got anti hero and my cubs are dying quickly is when I would do this).

So this "When do I get stats?" question is a very difficult to answer since it is 100% dependent on the situation.

Say if your team is pushing and going from the battlefield to base and back to get energy takes a while, then you might want mor energy.

Sorry for this post being sporadic, but it just goes to show that you really can't ever stick to one build during every game.
Check out the Official HA3X Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HeroAttack3X

Guides:
Predator
Preserver
I aint got nothin left in my will, cept throw it all in the casket its mine still

Previous

Return to Ask a Pro