General IH rules and expectations

Discuss Hero Attack related topics that do not fit in the other forums here.
[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Race: Random
Battlenet ID: Consilience
Clan: Defy

General IH rules and expectations

Postby Consilience » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:47 am

I've been asked to explain general IH (In-House) rules and expectations. IH games are made up of experienced Hero Attack players who enjoy competitive games without the rage-quitting and BM found in pubs. The typical steps of forming an IH:

IH Setup

1. A party of 10-12 experienced players is gathered.
2. A private lobby is created.
3. Game mode decided. 6v6 or 5v5. Observers can watch but must not participate or leave beacon.
4. 2 people volunteer to be Captains (sometimes it can be difficult to find volunteers) - preferably the Captains know most of the IH players well so the teams are somewhat balanced.
5. Decision is made by the Captains who picks first, afterwards they alternate picks. This is a 1-1 setup. Sometimes, someone will snipe the first pick, which means to take the first pick before the decision is made who is first captain. (Kinda shitty move).
6. They can opt for 1-2, where the first captain picks one, then the 2nd captain picks 2 people, then they alternate afterwards.
7. Teams are picked in the lobby chat - people should try keep conversations in the party chat and leave lobby chat open for picks so there is no confusion.
8. Game host moves players in the lobby according to picks, then starts game.
9. During either the race selection or hero selection screen the game is paused so that teams can discuss which race, map and heroes they want. Do not unpause until both teams are ready.
10. On hero selection screen sometimes people will request- "pick pause". This allows people a few seconds to pick their heroes, then the game is repaused so teams can see lineups and further discuss.
11. Once both teams are ready, game is unpaused and starts.

Rules/Expectations
1. During game if you need to pause, you should announce it beforehand (usually with "PP" push pause) so people can prepare for it. When you return ask both teams if they are ready to unpause then countdown and unpause.
2. There are no hero autobans anymore. At anytime before game or during map/hero selection screen people can request bans but it is up to the captains if there are hero bans.
3. Rage-Quitting mid game may result in you being unofficially banned from IH. This is not a pub game - respect the others players please.
4. BMing teammates, especially new players shouldn't be tolerated. We were all new players at one point and should want to expand the IH scene.

If you are interested in joining IH games or connecting with players:

Download Kakaotalk - free texting app on smart phones and computers. You can join our IH chatroom with ~34 IH players, including all of the website staff and developers. IH games form quickly when you announce that one is forming. PM me if you want to be added to the IH chat room.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4109

Join the "Official HAStrategy IH channel" in SC to connect with other players. streamed events are announced and organized there.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4731

Please feel free to add anything else I've left off.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Re: General IH rules and expectations

Postby Consilience » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:53 am

It might be helpful if people recruit new IH players to give them a link to this thread to help them out.
You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Kill Streakers] ArtVandelay
Content Manager

Battlenet ID: ArtVandelay1681
Clan: Kill Streakers

Postby ArtVandelay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:48 pm

I don't understand having observers. As soon as someone drops the leaver gets all jacked up. Plus everyone argues over who is going to observe. What is the reason for observers?

I've seen quite a few rage quits, which isn't horrible in pubs because there is no up front setup. But when it happens IH, that really pisses me off because they take a bit of time to setup in the first place (and you spend a good deal of time with hero selection only to see one you wanted rq). I think RQs are the biggest reason I am leery of IHs. I know I am not one of the best players on IHs, but I learn a lot and that is fine. But RQs sour me for a while everytime they happen.

Anyway, those annoyances aside, I love playing IHs. As a not great player, I don't see any crap. I think people are pretty civil and BMing is funny. Someone mentioned it before, but I would like to see the pros go with heroes they are not good with more often. Nothing worse than someone OP with Lings just control the entire game. I suppose the one where you pick your opponents heroes is a good format to avoid this stuff.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:18 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:I don't understand having observers. As soon as someone drops the leaver gets all jacked up. Plus everyone argues over who is going to observe. What is the reason for observers?

People like watching the games; they are entertaining. I've only seen like one observer drop in 4 months, and when that happens, the other observer just drops as well to remove leaver.

ArtVandelay wrote:I've seen quite a few rage quits, which isn't horrible in pubs because there is no up front setup. But when it happens IH, that really pisses me off because they take a bit of time to setup in the first place (and you spend a good deal of time with hero selection only to see one you wanted rq). I think RQs are the biggest reason I am leery of IHs. I know I am not one of the best players on IHs, but I learn a lot and that is fine. But RQs sour me for a while everytime they happen.

This is really not a consistent problem. It is very rare for people to RQ IH games in my experience.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:13 pm

The drops I have seen are maybe not RQ. They are immediate (perhaps not liking the race/coposition taken), not in response to how a game is going. Sometimes I think this is because pros will take certain heroes and most pubs like myself can only play 2-3 heroes from a given race with any confidence against pros. If those 2-3 are taken by pros the pubs may bail rather than feed.

[Gentlemen's City] Germiahish
Captain

Race: Protoss
Battlenet ID: Germiahish
Clan: Gentlemen's City

Postby Germiahish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:19 pm

I has a banlist
Fus 3.0
Some wrote:This was definitely NOT Germ's fault
Germ actually did play well tbh
Germ's a solid player
Germ is better than me now

Most wrote: l2p
Germ is bad
Germ is Fus

Artrek wrote: BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZJnyzG4jc

[Candee] Skittles
Corporal

Battlenet ID: Private
Clan: Candee

Postby Skittles » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Just a couple quick questions:

Am I unofficially banned for bm'ing my team in that ih a week ago?

Also, if you piss off John by seducing his girlfriend Jinjoo, do you get unofficially banned?

Ok, thanks!

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Skittles wrote:Just a couple quick questions:
Am I unofficially banned for bm'ing my team in that ih a week ago?

No I've tried to invite you to 2 IH games since then but you were AFK.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

akuma
Developer

Articles: 1
Battlenet ID: 510

Postby akuma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 pm

tl dr past op
you should add teamspeak 3 to the contact info and explain how that works as well, and how people with ts3 and a mic will get chosen over people without ts3 and a mic

i know it's not the best thing to say but it will help people understand why they were low on the pick list even if they play good games

[RektIH] aidsmaster
Contributor

Clan: RektIH

Postby aidsmaster » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:00 pm

I still think spamming pings is more effective than Ts. Last few ihs I have played, I got on Ts and no one talked or pinged, it felt like pubstomp because no coordination. And I don't think people choose players based on if they have ts or mic, its based on clan reputation not skill imo.

[Defy] Primo
Sergeant

Articles: 56
Battlenet ID: Primo 746

Postby Primo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:33 pm

aidsmaster wrote:I still think spamming pings is more effective than Ts. Last few ihs I have played, I got on Ts and no one talked or pinged, it felt like pubstomp because no coordination. And I don't think people choose players based on if they have ts or mic, its based on clan reputation not skill imo.

Most of the time teams split themselves on ts. Last night we just stayed in the same channel for friendly bm. When i pick teams, i try to plan my lineup. For instance, ill pick someone who mains fbat if i already got a viking player even if he is newer player. Obviously some people always get picked over others because they can fill any role which leaves your team more options in the lineup.

akuma
Developer

Articles: 1
Battlenet ID: 510

Postby akuma » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:26 am

aidsmaster wrote:I still think spamming pings is more effective than Ts. Last few ihs I have played, I got on Ts and no one talked or pinged, it felt like pubstomp because no coordination. And I don't think people choose players based on if they have ts or mic, its based on clan reputation not skill imo.

im guessing the ts3 teams were not split
when ever i cap i chose based on ts3 then how entertaining the people in the lobby are then skill (clans are never took into account for me as imo clans are fucking retarded and just a prefix to the player)

this is why people like dark anime Athena are some of top picks, because there fun to play with and have mics if we want to got all tryhard

[Defy] John
Sergeant

Battlenet ID: John 1551

Postby John » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:18 pm

IH would be much more fun if people didn't leave for feeding or to remake 20 mins in cause 1 person dropped..if the game gets unplayable due to lag you should sell all your stuff and upgrade or give your minerals to someone else and leave as well other than sitting on beacon. Ruins games.
You win some, you lose some.

Dark Archon Guide

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:11 pm

^should probably update the first post with some of those expectations (what to do when 1 person is dying a lot, or when you have to leave, etc).

Ixidor
General

Articles: 11

Postby Ixidor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:23 pm

1. During game if you need to pause, you should announce it beforehand with PP (push pause) so people can prepare for it.

This is a pet peeve. Players need to stop pausing the game then typing "PP" second so we can prepare for it. Missing ganks or dying because the enemies are suddenly very aware of you jumping in is frustrating, if we had a couple second warning we could ameliorate that from happening.

DonaldTrump
Recruit

Battlenet ID: TRUMP

Postby DonaldTrump » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:32 am

Submit time-zones, for all players ET, CT, PT, ect (Divisions?)

Updated group on SC2 of active players (last game within 2 months) who interested in private games to reduce waiting.

Earlier games?
(seen games starting earlier past week, game was down for a while thx to blizzards bug earlier this month)
It's hard to play on weeknights when most games are starting at 1-3am ET
[President] Donald J. Trump
You win some, you win some more

Ixidor
General

Articles: 11

Postby Ixidor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:18 am

DonaldTrump wrote:Submit time-zones, for all players ET, CT, PT, ect (Divisions?)

Updated group on SC2 of active players (last game within 2 months) who interested in private games to reduce waiting.

Earlier games?
(seen games starting earlier past week, game was down for a while thx to blizzards bug earlier this month)
It's hard to play on weeknights when most games are starting at 1-3am ET

I think Time Zones and Earlier times are a good idea. You could try to get ppl to post here too Donald. If you want to be a part of IH too it'd be much appreciated, anyone can join and the more players we get joining the better.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:59 pm

John wrote:IH would be much more fun if people didn't leave for feeding or to remake 20 mins in cause 1 person dropped..if the game gets unplayable due to lag you should sell all your stuff and upgrade or give your minerals to someone else and leave as well other than sitting on beacon. Ruins games.

Yeah, when someone drops 25 minutes into a game, I'd rather play it out. People often just leave and then it takes 20 min to restart the game. We've also had an issue with the same player RQing every game recently. I'm hesitant to keep a Germ style list of RQers or call them out.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

[Defy] wiwup
Recruit

Race: Zerg

Postby wiwup » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:28 am

Consilience wrote:I'm hesitant to keep a Germ style list of RQers or call them out.

ill call them out =)

Con or better known as consilience, RQ when he gets rolled and makes top level IHer quit because he cant take a lose for 2 games in a row. Ban lings if you dont want to play against them and dont discourage people from playing a hero to the best it can be played.

[Defy] Consilience
Lieutenant

Postby Consilience » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 pm

wiwup wrote:
Consilience wrote:I'm hesitant to keep a Germ style list of RQers or call them out.

ill call them out =)

Con or better known as consilience, RQ when he gets rolled and makes top level IHer quit because he cant take a lose for 2 games in a row. Ban lings if you dont want to play against them and dont discourage people from playing a hero to the best it can be played.

I propose we ban that guy
-Napoleon Bonaparte

DonaldTrump
Recruit

Battlenet ID: TRUMP

Postby DonaldTrump » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Fediuwiwup and Rageqilliance

I hate to tell you but I read "ban lings" as "banelings".
The only thing I have to say about lings is they should have got carbot skin what an unclassy boring hero, beleave me.

Last edited by DonaldTrump on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[President] Donald J. Trump
You win some, you win some more

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:31 pm

That gif makes me LOL trump

[Defy] Huxley
Corporal

Battlenet ID: Huxley-3417

Postby Huxley » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:36 am

Skittles wrote:if you piss off John by seducing his girlfriend Jinjoo, do you get unofficially banned?

I have LOLed.

Content Manager

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Want to get the advice of the IH vets on here (I don't play them too often)...

Last night, we played an IH match with some vets, and a few Pubs new to IH (but very much vet pubs). We did the player draft, and my team won the game pretty easily. It wasn't a very long game (maybe 20 minutes, I had only gotten to 3-0 because I was critting). At any rate, someone complained we should not play carry heroes with pubs in the IH. I wasn't playing a carry hero, but certainly one of my main heroes. We were zerg and we did not have Lings or Muta on our team (which change the game a lot and can be really hard to deal with for pubs).

I think our team was Brood, Drone, Lurker, Queen, Viper, can't recall other one all of a sudden. Anyway, were we wrong to play main heroes? Nothing was stated up front. They had DT, DA, Colossus, Tempest, DZ, Dragoon. So it wasn't like they weren't playing B-list heroes.

Next

Return to General Discussion