Trying my hand at mapmaking..

Discuss Hero Attack map sets and learn how to build your own here.
Silphyre
Corporal

Race: Zerg
Battlenet ID: Private

Trying my hand at mapmaking..

Postby Silphyre » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Map making seems interesting so I've been thinking about trying it out. The basics are pretty overwhelming though if i'm being honest, but I was thinking of making 4 unique maps with these themes and names:

Dead marsh - undead themed, deaths/kills determine the marshes effect on you and invulnerable ghosts roam the map causing strange things to happen

Olympus - Deity themed, (at least) 4 deities titans roam the map in preset ways, some can be killed temporarily, some can't, some fight, some don't. they all generally change the battle field conditions in their own way and can be avoided, used or eliminated to your advantage.

Train-ing field - A train themed map, where ground units are sped up or slowed down depending on if they travel with the train or not. Being on a train will give you slight damage reduction as a ground unit, but if the train dies all ground units near it are damaged/stunned.

War - Massive battle themed map, going to attempt to make a 6 lane map with 3 expos all along attack paths to the enemy. each expo will have 2 invulnerable defensive structures that belong to whichever side owns the expo and as per a "war treaty" condition of the map, ai workers would be invulnerable and die only at expo death (every 40 minutes a large primal force attacks both sides maybe)

All that being said, I don't know how to use the map editor at all yet, so don't expect anything any time soon. :lol:

Silphyre
Corporal

Re: Trying my hand at mapmaking..

Postby Silphyre » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:05 pm

I just thought of this, but having music to them would be nice. horror/scary music for the first one maybe, some lord of the rings or 2steps from hell type stuff for the olympus and war maps (if it's not an issue of some sort) and that music for thomas the train that was used in the cyclowned carbtot video would be awesome for Train-ing field among others.

[Gentlemen's City] Nubbins
Developer

Battlenet ID: Nubbins.218
Clan: Gentlemen's City

Postby Nubbins » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:08 pm

If you have any questions/issues just drop me a PM :D
Puru Puru Pururin~

Silphyre
Corporal

Postby Silphyre » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:51 am

Did a little stand alone work on training field and took a screen shot, haven't gotten as far as doing the triggers yet, but I wanted a visual of my pencil scribblings.

There are a total of 6 different train tracks so far and i'm kind of thinking of adding in a "train ticket" item that will cancel out the pushing effect of the train give you a flat speed boost, stealth you and give you invulnerability (but also disable your auto attack and silence you because your just a passenger). The trains will push heroes, but won't affect a.i spawn units.

It may not be easy to tell due to the tracks everywhere but the lanes are (intentionally) uneven.
The bottom left side has 2 lanes going up while the enemy side has 1 lane going to meet it, the mid lane is not a double lane but a single lane until you reach closer to the other side.

A lot of people won't like the setup but, who cares! Get rekt, train-rekt even :lol:
Attachments
screenshot2.png
screenshot.png

[Eguard] Legity
Recruit

Race: Terran
Clan: Eguard

Postby Legity » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 pm

I made something like this, but yours looks way cooler. Also ask me for questions as well as Nubbins. In my point of view its too square lol :D
Also theres not enough room for fights, or room in general.

Silphyre
Corporal

Postby Silphyre » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Yeah I whipped this one up sort of quickish and using the full the full extents of the map. After I finished this one for a basic visual I noticed that the base land area was a bit large (I thought they should be rectangular with the spawning buildings paired vertically on both sides and the cannons in the middle so that the sticking out bit would be less). I also thought another two crit areas would be nice and that the pit should be removed altogether for more land space.

I'm not sure I understand the too square part. I thought all the maps were squares? If it's about moving around, the train mechanics should alleviate it (if i'm understanding correctly). I do know that the meltdown map was probably really square (the travel distance was huge), but it didn't have a base set up in the middle of the map like this one or trains that speed up or slow down travel. The total ground distance traveled would still be the same for spawn units but hero travel distance to the first and 2nd points of engagement are less.

Spoiler:
Mathematically (with an assumed square map and sides of length 10 as an example), to reach from 1 base directly to the next on my map is 10. Following the spawn on meltdown, the full distance of travel would be 20. However unlike on the meltdown map, if you're traveling to the 1st point of engagement you do not have to travel a straight line to it because you can simply go straight to it using the hypotenuese 5√2 which is about 7; Not to mention that traveling base to base on the meltdown map would be a distance of 10√20 which is about 14 if i'm doing my math right. In terms of the size of this map it's the same shape/size as meltdown (probably). The distance traveled on this map however is nearly 1.5 times less than on meltdown and the amount of map space that isn't dead space is far less (since there isn't the triple threat deterrent of a long distance without regular spawns, difficult terrain and possible death outside of enemy contact- the critter)

[Eguard] Legity
Recruit

Race: Terran
Clan: Eguard

Postby Legity » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:02 pm

It just the map looks like a big square, like theres nothing there. Its like that because of the bases positions there not on the corners, like regular maps.

Return to Maps